Every time I get in my car I ask my smartphone to use precise measurements of time beamed from several points in space to quickly triangulate my location, then wirelessly connect to the internet, find my destination, map a route avoiding traffic, then read the directions to me as I drive. And yet I will complain it’s not doing enough.
Here’s a short list of features I’d like to see added to GPS:
- If my next turn is the next traffic signal tell me that! Say, “turn left at the light,” the way a person would.
- Show me the speed limit. Alert me when I’m speeding.
- Search for things along my route. I used to be able to do this – I don’t know where that feature went.
- Give me an ETA/trip time factoring in projected traffic based on a later start time.
- Suggest a lane based on the next turn.
- Show me the current weather radar, like the Radar Now app.
- Route around high crime areas.
- Allow me to set the height of my vehicle and warn me if I’m going to drive under something too low.