Here are some of the different “First” rules of gun safety I’ve picked up from different courses and various reading material:
1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Sometimes worded “Muzzles must point down range”, sometimes “Never point a gun at something you don’t intend to kill”.
1. All guns are always loaded! (Or the better, Canadian version: Assume every firearm is loaded.)
1. Never mix firearms with alcohol. (?)
1. The RSO (Range Safety Officer) has absolute authority over the range.
1. Never point any gun at Dave.
Well okay, that last one was an icebreaker for a class, as in “Hello everyone, I’m Dave. The first rule of gun safety is never, ever point any gun at Dave!” Dave was cool. I miss that guy.