1) There’s a good chance you found this because you googled “escape room tips”. Stop that. Stop it right now. Embrace the game. It’s supposed to be a challenge. Also consider you might be paired up with strangers, so it’s really not fair to ruin it for them. Don’t be a dick.
2) Listen to your guide when they bring you in. They want you to make it out! Listen carefully, they may give some cryptic clues.
3) Dress to do some work. You may be crawling around, climbing, etc. Be prepared to get a little dirty.
4) Keep talking. Especially if the group seems to hit a dead end. Just make observations, even if they seem obvious. Keep the group chatting.
5) Move on. You’ve been staring at that picture frame for a long time now. Maybe it’s something, maybe it’s not. Come back to it later.
6) Try everything! Even if you’re pretty sure it won’t work just keep trying things. Move things. Put things in other things. If nothing else a light may go off in a teammate’s head. But resist the temptation to keep doing the same thing over and over.
7) Examine things even though you just saw your teammates looking at it. You may bring a different perspective.
8) Don’t post spoilers.